2013-09-26-OA-64K Hulkshare
2013-09-26-OA-64K Sharebeast
Sal makes it on time today. Someone has stealing cereal on the night shift. They try to find out the true identity of "Pip's" including a full investigation into the usage of the studio after hours. OP gets some revenge. OP reviews the Morton Downey JR documentary. Baboon titty grab.
International music sensation MIA getting sued for flipping the bird at the halftime show last year. OJ Simpson is back in the news. They discover Emily Ratajkowski (video below) The Aron Alexis video is discussed. Peirs Morgan talks to naughty boys about playing with toy guns. We hear Clinton's Bono impression.
The anniversary of Purple Rain, Nicole from the Mash-Up stop in to say hello and she is pregnant, Denny joins in studio to play a Dickie Goodman bit and we are joined by Otto who is well on the road to recovery.
Sam Roberts hosts the Shit Show and we find out this whole time, Sam is actually a Mick Foley sock puppet.
As mentioned on today's show:
Fuck Piers, Bono and Clinton in their asses.
ReplyDeleteThank you, you sweet sexy man.. xox
I really can't resist at this point. They start yesterday's show by shaming Sal and ERock for being late (late as in not there before the show starts). ERock has a history of getting there well after everyone else, and I understand that they want their staff their at 4:30 AM to prepare for the show, but it sounds like a gray area and that they aren't hourly employees or else ERock would have been in real trouble by now.
ReplyDeleteNow, how many times has Anthony been late to the show or even called in on his drive to the show? Whether it was because he slept in (how when he has his manservant Kenny call him every morning?) or because the traffic is bad in which case it is his problem as he chose to live in long island and his timeliness is predicated on driving as fast as possible and hoping noone gets in his way and that he can beat every red light. If they actually did show prep on their own there might be more of a buffer there (ex. they miss show prep and not the start of the show). A little show prep might also reduce the number of shows where they spend 10 minutes bitching that "these head phones sound funny, who was messing with our head phones?" segments of which there are many (surprisingly, not too many lately, so credit there). Granted, shit happens and NY traffic is bad, but they certainly don't hold themselves up to any standards and they certainly hate when management calls their agent when they are late and treats them like children.
Now that I got that out of the way, Sal is a cock.
Man, that is a spot on assessment of what's happening. I wish someone would have the balls to call the boys directly and tell them all of this.
DeleteJesus Christ, who fucking cares about whether their staff even lives or dies, much less when they come to work. This did not make "good radio".
DeleteLiving in chicago I had the privilege to listening to similarly entertaining yet not as funny Steve Dahl show. When they were on top he was accompanied by mancow. However they slowly demised and music only channels replaced them. I always wondered what happened to those talk show listeners that never went back to talk radio from different sources (ie satalite). Did they act like we do now? Slowly getting sick of certain aspects of the show until they quit all together? Basically I'm asking , is the show changing or are the listsners changing?
ReplyDeleteThe show changed for a number of reasons such as the maturity (well, aging) of the hosts and its listeners. There may be a "right point in time" factor to the show like most anything else, although, it isn't quite as a dramatic as a pop idol thing which is very short lived and the listeners don't grow with the artist, but I think it applies to anything that is considered hip and cool.
DeleteThe show itself of course has changed as they moved away from the shock jock focus. The radio world has changed and is not friendly to their type of radio. I think it is a great move to go to satellite at least for content freedom, but I also don't think they had much choice, and now they are stuck at a single company where they are a distant second place to Stern. They were used to being to big fish in small pond radio stations and doing what they wanted (while still having to work in FCC guidelines). Not being as big as they were, not having anyplace else to go, and working for one broke ass company that merged with another broke ass company also hurts them. The company won't let them do what they want or give them money because a) they are broke and their business model may fail b) they have a ton of other stations to consider c) they went all in with Stern. They also haven't adapted well to the podcast scene, even their regulars are going off and doing their own shows.
Another note on the freedom, they can say fuck now, but there are so many rules for contests (thanks wee for a Wii) and bits (no insertion, etc.) that a big company like Sirius has in place for covering their big ass (thanks lawyers). Even things they were innovative in like having a visual element was squashed by the company. The same company also worked hard to prevent Anthony from doing his outside show, although I think he finally got some sort of permission.
I still like the show and think it is better than most of the contemporaries like the people they feature on jocktober and any morning zoo show. At one point it was a choice between either O&A or maybe Bob and Tom in your town, and now there is so much available online that I'm sure people have expanded their horizons. I think it is healthy to grow less found of something or have less time for it as you grow. Or you can be a fanboy that lives and dies with something you latched onto (usually at an early age) and pretend that thing is perfect and can do no wrong (think Jimmy and Ozzy).
DeleteDamn, VanDamme, Steve Dahl. I found him only pleasant and not that funny but I did like him. I loved Johnny B. and Buzz Killman. Gary Meier with Roe Cahn were good too. I miss Chicago!
DeleteHell yeah Stever! Started with Dahl, moved to OnA and then found a funnier, more private version of Dahl with Ronnie B. Once they pushed Dahl out I tried Waddle and Silvy before quitting terrestrial altogether. That said, I think the show changes within its normal form. A goofy intern shows up, a new producer with a different style, a different comedian friend. Some of the phases are rough to stick through. This "ant focusing on race politics, Opie on his boring home life, and Jim on his phone" phase especially. But you never know what the next one will be. Also, I think a lot of older fans (spoiled by all the years with the great comedians) start to lose patience and drop off, and get replaced by new listeners.
DeleteI think they've largely lost their comedian friends or at least the dynamic is changed, partly due to death (Giraldo, Patrice), partly due to not bringing in new blood, and maybe mostly due to comedians moving on and doing their own thing like podcasts. My favorite shows used to be the whole group of guys trashing each other.
DeleteThe producer dynamic is almost totally gone now. Again, they lost this through death (Steve) but also due to the company not wanting to hire anyone. Do they even have an executive producer now? I think they just gave the title to someone like Travis who is behind the scenes and dull when not (fuck off about Pearl Jam already, why can't it be Pearl Marmalade or sumtin?). I miss the days of an incompetent producer you knew would eventually go on to hate the show with a passion (ex. everyone that ever worked for them).
Opie has kids, is trying to be a good person, is meditating now... so his one bit of being a dick for no reason to guests is pretty well over.
The interns are a huge change. They went through a period when they couldn't even have interns, and now what they can do with interns is so restricted that they are limited to getting them breakfast and running personal errands. And no, I didn't forget the hilarious girl intern bit that took forever to go nowhere. If you start a bit like that you gotta end big with a rape IMHO. Everyone remembers the legendary interns like David and Creampie Jones back in the days when you could properly degrade an intern. I believe Sam was in charge of picking a lot of the best interns.
As for people dropping off, I wonder if they really pick up new listeners outside of Stern listeners. Do younger impressionable teenagers have access to satellite radio and are they choosing that over internet radio?
By the way, I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying the interns should be raped, I only meant that as a less horrible alternative to having Ryan Star serenade them.
DeleteOpie pretending he doesn't know who Pepper Hicks is was pathetic. I've heard him refer to him many times and most notably on Tequila and Doughnuts day when he said "Pepper Hicks is an animal give him some shots". But it's cool to act like you don't know who he is, look I don't anything maaaaannnn I'm a rebel here.
ReplyDeleteYou are correct. I did hear the sarcasm in Opie's voice but he DOES think its cool to act like he doesn't know who people are. Opie feels it makes for good radio.
Deleteyou could also say that not everyone listens to both shows though. so it could be that he's playing the part of the listener who doesn't know that show very well.
Deleteopie is a stickler for spoon feeding the audience, after all.
Or it could just be that he's so caught up in his own shit, he can't be bothered remembering people he doesn't see in the 4hrs of what he calls work.
DeleteOr it could just be that he's an ass.
Hence why this show needs a major kick up the ass creatively. They've gotten way too comfortable with formula.
DeletePepper hicks is a renowned degenerate. I consider him the John Belushi of Sirius along with being a gentleman and a scholar and drug addict.
DeleteYAY! 51.51% more Opie Voice today! He's a near intolerable distraction. LISTEN TO HIM! He FORCES this ridiculous baritone-voice...and HAS to interject with lame-assed exaggerated laughter and breathy chortles...and those damned "ummm"s. Only to slip into his NATURAL whiny voice when he starts bitching about something...repeating himself ad infinitum, Fucking music, cereal, his kids, and "I have to watch what I eat" breaks. He's bitching about the rich snobs on the Upper East Side who he claims "never worked for their money". He should know. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDS!!!
DeleteOh geez! I wrote this while listening to today's show. They just used the term "ad nausium" with the Mike Francessa (or as Ope used to say "Franchesca"). Should have used that instead of "ad infinitum").
DeleteWOW...spot on,every word. Opie tries way too hard to be whatever he thinks is "cool".UGH. Ant and Jim are the only reason to listen..especially Ant. He doesn't try to be something he's not...and his comedic wit is effortless. He does go on about his disgust with blacks a little much...but,ironically,he wants them to be decent more than they do...So,really,he could be very helpful with blacks...if he could just stop calling them niggers...:)
DeleteI think it was a bit to indirectly throufh a couple shots at fez. Which I always enjoy
ReplyDelete