2013 November 06 - Julius Erving - Jason Statham

2013-11-06-OA-64K Sharebeast

2013-11-06-JNS-64K Advice Show
2013-11-06-OA-64K Mediafire St
2013-11-06-OA-64K Mediafire Dl






Two radio hosts get in a little trouble for bailing on an interview yesterday. They contemplate moving to the afternoons. Bill DeBlazio is the new Mayor of New York.

More coverage of the celebration from the Mayoral race yesterday.  Bill Burr has a new movie out with Sandra Bulllock and Melissa McCarthy called "the Heat". 

The Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack cocaine. They discuss Mayor Ford calling into a radio show as "Ian". DR J - Julius Erving joins in studio to discuss his new book.

Suddenly, a wall is broken down, a plane door opens and emerging from flames arises Jason Statham. Fart jokes ensue. 

Take your pick: 

Jim hosts the Advice Show and Rob Ford calls in to admit that he started smoking Crack because it was the only way he could sit through Sam's Shit Show. 

Jim hosts the Advice Show and Rob Ford calls in to admit that he stashes his crack pipe in Sam's afro. 

Jim hosts the Advice Show and Rob Ford calls in to admit that he sucked Sam Roberts dick for crack money. 

As mentioned on today's show:






41 comments:

  1. Goddamn, getting paid MILLIONS of dollars for talking to celebrities and having fun for four hours a day has GOT to be a massive bitch.

    Thank God I have an insufferable horseshit job that takes 40 to 50 hours of my life every week, and which barely keeps me financially floating in the lower-middle class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are feeling down about your job why don't you take one of your 4 weeks of vacation to get away for a bit? Don't tell me you've used it all already...

      Delete
  2. So I guess the Tim Sabean love in is over then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never took it as a love fest, it was more like them giving Tim Sabaen reluctant hand jobs while nervously hoping he didn't cum in their eyes.

      Delete
  3. Them not doing the interview, and what follows, is a lot more entertaining than it would have been in the first place. They couldn't have really goofed on him, so Ant would have tried to pester him with JFK questions while Stone tried to talk about his book, and Jimmy would have said, what book, and Opie wouldn't have said a thing. See, they did do the interview, in concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We should tap out after this contract".

    Finally!!! That is the smartest thing I've ever heard Opie say. It's also the most long overdue.

    I'm curious if Jimmy thinks Sabean was hired to ruin the show from the inside, I know it sounds stupid but Sabean is a Stern guy and he said a few things while talking about it that instantly made me think of that. Could just be the conspiracy side of me talking though.

    I'm also glad Jimmy briefly mentioned Rogan's cast, every time I watch JRE I think how awesome it'd be if this show had an equally awesome setup as well as the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they've said exactly the same thing every time contract talks start as a negotiation tactic. I remember there was a lot of uncertainty (maybe the time before last) and it went right up until the last minute before they announced they had a deal.

      They have nowhere else to go, and I doubt either of them can afford to quit. Opie has a wife and two kids and there is no way he can support them on a caddie's salary.

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine them staying together if the show ends. It might be fun if they both take the O&A brand name and start competing shows...just like the bands they have made fun of in the past for cashing in on their name.

      Delete
    3. I've felt that too in the past but they're a little under a year out from their contract end and with this and "extortion" tactics currently happening, I do believe this show has finally entered the beginning of the end in regards to it's life on Sirius/XM. This time it just seems very different.

      Delete
    4. I haven't heard the show so I don't know what is going on, but that usually don't stop me from commenting. If this is about possibly going to afternoons, I think that would be a good thing, or at least I can't think of anything negative other than R&F being affected. They hate getting up in the mornings (and many times don't) and Anthony doesn't get to drink. The only thing I've heard them say in favor of mornings is that they get more listeners and it has more prestige. From the prestige perspective, the battle is over, Stern won (and they weren't even a credible threat). I doubt they care about either of those things beyond how they translate into how much money their contract is for (which I don't hold against them).

      Delete
    5. I think they said over the air that it would likely be a late pm start, assuming they would take the replay spot that airs now, after Ron/Fez. Then you would have yesterdays replay during what we call the live show now (6 -10am)

      Ron Fez would not be affected. If anything it would bump them up to the newsy position.

      They also discuss their distaste for the company, and sure, they have before, at length about leaving but something today, was more... honest then usual. I would not be surprised they really do split at the contract end - OCT 2014

      Delete
    6. I have a feeling that might actually leave this time and do something else whether it be some kind of online call-in show or they might just go separate ways. I think afternoons might kill this show for good. Makes me wish I had found the show much earlier than 2011.

      Delete
    7. Does anyone think that ultimately it is about anything more than money or that they could go anywhere else either together or alone and make anywhere near what they make now (or have such an easy job)? Do you think they are struggling to express their art while the maaaan is holding them back? Will they leave and move into an artists community where they can craft dick jokes for the world for free just to get their art out there?

      They want what they have plus more freedom and money, and it doesn't seem like Sirius agrees they should have it and their only bargaining chip (what's that?) is to leave and do a podcast. Maybe they should have sabotaged the merger of the satellite companies.

      Delete
    8. I'm not trying to say their concerns shouldn't be in large part about money, but I don't buy that they seriously talk about things like freedom, their studio space, or even their staff when negotiating. I think it just comes down to getting as much money as possible and then they are left to bitch about the rest of it (knowing full well what they are doing). "why is our studio so small...why is our staff underpaid...why don't we have any road gigs..." If they truly gave a care they would negotiate these things instead of relying on vague promises that based on all past experience are worthless. It feels disingenuous to me that they bitch every chance they get to get sympathy from the listeners when their contracts are negotiated and that they do have leverage (although some of that may be at the cost of money).

      I could easily be full of shit here, but when you look at the type of control Howard has you see that it is possible.

      Delete
    9. One last thought before I disengage from the soap opera for awhile, does anyone think a podcast is an option? You have the obvious cons like making much less (or even zero) money, but you also have to think about what it takes to produce one.

      It is much easier in terms of the equipment required, but you actually have to have some planning and content, and as unprepared as they are now, they do have a full staff to create production, do preparation, book guests, and so on. Do you think their staff would come with them and work for free (I won't even consider the option of them being paid) in the hopes of one day making money? Are there any podcasts out there that support a large staff?

      I can't imagine Opie and Anthony creating production, booking guests, and doing show prep. My mind won't allow me to even conceive of such a thing.

      Delete
    10. I really don't think they'd do a podcast like Rogan etc. They'd have to sink a lot of money into it and get nothing out. It would also involve a lot of work and I can't see either of them wanting the expense or effort. Opie's got his family thing going on and Ant has all manner of toys and shit to fill his time with. The show seems to be just a paycheque to them, when it's done they're done.

      What about poor lil' Jimmy though? He always sounds like a kid trying to stop mummy and daddy getting divorced when they start throwing around ideas about quitting.

      Delete
    11. There is more money to be made from ad revenue then you would think. In a podcast situation they have to figure out how to monetize it where as now, its the marketing at SXM that focuses on that.

      Simply put, a free podcast with ads, live reads or a pay per listen podcast would cash in their pockets. Live appearances, tours, stunts and a very short staff may work in their favor. All this seems less desirable by todays standards, but you have to ask yourself, would you pay $2.99 via Paypal or credit/debit card to hear a two hour O&A show with NO RULES AT ALL? I certainly would.

      At 10 thousand download (which is about what I get everyday) that's almost 30 G a day.

      The money is there, they just have to figure out how to get it.

      Delete
    12. I think they're spoiled, lazy and generally too out of touch with the real world to make a successful podcast happen.

      It's just SOOOO much easier to sign a multi-million dollar contract, do nothing more than show up at the mic, and half-ass your way through a show before heading home as fast as possible.

      Delete
    13. $3 per day? That is a damn sight more than I pay you. Are people doing daily podcasts? I guess maybe Corolla, but all the ones I listen to are weekly. I would pay a weekly fee for a daily or even weekly show. I pay $10 for Phil Hendrie's backstage pass which has podcasts for old segments and also allows access to the show through the web site.

      I don't know what advertiser is worth, but they are already a known brand at a major company with a sales team. They have trouble getting dick creams to advertise with them now, so I don't know how they will fare doing that on their own. I guess if you join a podcast network it helps with that type of thing, but of course it take a cut, and I don't expect them to humble themselves and become just another show. Also, if they had no rules that could hurt them as for as advertising goes, at least now the advertisers know they are on leash.

      As for the rules, I don't like rules when they get in the way, but I also don't really care about whether they can bring a girl in and put a bottle rocket in her cunt. I would like a proper no-orifices-barred gay-off to be done, though.

      Delete
    14. Same procedure as every year. Last time I remember them saying something like "don't worry, we're good" after signing. "No more bitching from us..."

      Delete
    15. They weren't accusing Sirius of extortion last time. Sirius wasn't throwing Howie a million dollar birthday party after he sued the company last time. The show wasn't looking at being shifted to afternoons and decimating it's audience last time. I don't recall anyone mentioning a facility in NY that they could do a much better show out of last time. There's many things about this that aren't like last time.

      Yes I bitch about the show a lot and I've said many times that they should tell Sirius to go screw and do a Rogan-style podcast but this sucks ass.

      Delete
    16. I could even hear a different tone in their voices when I listened to that whole part. It's really disheartening. Exactly why this time is different and I think that time that Opie got really really infuriated how shitty the studio is compared to Ant's LFTC setup was genuine too.

      Delete
    17. Absolutely agree, dude.

      Delete
    18. If they were younger and still eager then I could see them doing a podcast. If that had been an option back when they were suspended I'm sure they would have gone all in with it. I just don't think they'd do it now. Like I said before, they'd need to sink a lot of money into it, there'd be little payback (even with advertising they wouldn't come close to their Sirius millions), it'd be too much effort and it would require far more co-operation between them than I think exists anymore.

      Delete
  5. Less celeb interviews please. They're mostly unlistenable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. completely agree. though you get some good ones like tim conway and penn and so forth.... i thought that trace atkins show was pretty funny, but at face value i thought a celeb apprentice guest would be a fucking snooze. most interviews are a snooze though.

      take the good with the bad i guess.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Alex. It's a rare occasion when an interview is actually more than a waste of time.

      That sort of thing should be left for the master, Ronnie B.

      Delete
    4. I enjoy most of the interviews. I just don't understand why they do them.

      Having celebs on your show is supposed to be about getting attention. Fans of said celeb will listen to your show and maybe stick around. There's a reason why Letterman, Leno and all advertise who the guests are beforehand. A good guest equals higher ratings.

      But O&A almost never let anybody know who the upcoming guests are. Hugh Jackman was a huge get, but how does it help if they only announce it an hour beforehand? Why don't they have a website with a list of upcoming guests? Or a show twitter feed? Or put it on the facebook page?

      Delete
    5. A lot of your thinking revolves around "you", and you need to step outside of yourself and realize that they only have guests so that Jim can take photos. It is our privilege to hear Jim obsess about the photo while the interview itself is a mere formality. I only ever get excited about an interview if a guest was on a TV show in the 70s since I know Anthony will bring up minutiae from that show.

      You do make some good points, and the answer is the same as that for the question of "why don't O&A do _______". They would rather not do anything (these guys don't play by the rules of radio!) and then bitch about it later. Like when the discover 3 days later that the web department didn't put up a video of their latest interview.

      Delete
  6. Sam Roberts is a scared little bitch when questioned on air lmao

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Sirius keeps it up they'll be left with college radio and Hoohoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every station on Sirius/XM pretty much sucks besides opie and Anthony and the decades channels and most of the time they're playing shit on the decades channels. As much as we know how lazy they are now they weren't always like this. They have smooth sailing with not a Fuck to be givin. Why would you try when you know you're getting nowhere? I'm sure if it came to having to make money on their own they'd be pretty motivated once again. You have to remember the way radio was back when opie started where you were making calls to find advertisers and going out and promoting yourself and the station. A podcast would be a speed bump but I'm sure they'd make it work. You're talking about the inventors of instant feedback for fuck sake.

      Delete
  8. LOL sirius can give them a 90% paycut and they will still be there where else can they go?They wont do an oand a podcast they will be seperate and they wont get as many guys like rogan.The only reason they get celebs is because they are on Sirius.Im not a fan of howard but he gets better celebs and the celebs that appear on OA go on howard and seem to have more fun on howards show and give him more info.

    Opie is a fuckin pussy he blows off a oliver stone interview to take his kid to get a haircut while his wife who doesnt work is doing what??I wonder if he thinks about it in when his wife leaves him once his carrer is over in a few years and takes everything that he worked for with her.Seriously in 10 years she will still be a hot milf in her 30s and he is going to be in his 60s does he really think this was a love marriage?He really should also get a dna test

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. psh, there's 0 chance that he needs a dna test. any woman worth her salt that is in it for the money or power would make damn sure the kid is the issue of moneybags mcgillacutty. that's not a T you left uncross.

      Delete
    2. I don't want to be crude, but to address your point directly, Opie shot a load of gooey winning-lottery-ticket cum into her womb.

      Delete
  9. 43:50....wtf is with that laugh,norton?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ about 00:44:52 - Opie: "it's time to tap-owt". Don't worry if you missed it; he repeats it a few times to make sure you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a few random things...

    I liked the way Opie passively threw Ant under the bus several times during Stonegate. He kept saying that HE couldn't stay on rather than THEY couldn't stay.

    Another Opie moment when he stated that doing the show takes the whole day due to all the prep work required! Does it really? ;-)

    Was it just me or did Jimmy seem a little off at times during the Dr J interview? I know it was kind of dry (I had no idea who he was) but there were a few moments when Jim sounded a bit frustrated.

    Was there a drop out during Statham's interview? He was saying about racing cars through London and then it seemed to skip to mid conversation.

    ReplyDelete