That's why Ant explained it on Friday's show during the phoner.. they separated the 2 week vacation so Jimmy could be live to promote his special (even though they basically got a 3wk vacation with the amount of bullshit time wasting they did).
Unless you get a job at Star Bucks, then it is called a micro-vacation.
They didn't actual work a whole week, and they take a metric fuckload of days off (while complaining that Stern has more, that noone else in radio works on Fridays, and that management calls their agent if they take a sick day). I think they get like 3-4 weeks of official vacation a year along with personal days. Their new favorite loophole, which is a relatively recent innovation, is the "as long as someone shows up" show which they use to take a lot of personal days. Will we ever see them achieve their "joke" dream of franchising the show? I don't think most people mind this as it adds variety (I'd like to see some more Ronny B in there, but he actually works hard for a living and those guys never do his show, so I understand).
Has any1 went the gentlemans club today for todays r&f?? I can't get the link to work properly it keep sayin virus detected on my driod. Any1 having any problems there?? Dalex any clue?? Is it just me?
Not that I know of..this site worked fine. Idk ill try again. It was sayin something about andriod trojan found click ok. Coudlnt back out of it. Thanks for responding
Big fan of norton on the show, but after listening to his horrid old stand-up and not really a fan of the rushed delivery it's mutated into. How did he get the gig on O and A?
He found his niche. I don't remember if he started off as a regular guest that kept showing up and was eventually offered a job or what, but I don't don't think they saw his standup comedy and said "we need this guy on our team!". I do remember he was working with Dice when they met him, and I think that goes for Kenny too. I'm not a fan of Kenny's old police work tuning up blacks, but he found his niche doing security for a predominantly white show.
That said, is everyone a fan of his current standup comedy? I'm not a big standup comedy fan in general, but I don't think he is that great. I like him on the show when the comedy is situational and off the cuff. I'd rather not think about a tranny joke where someone actually wrote it down, crafted it, worked it out in clubs, and then repeated at all his shows.
listen the the smodcast with Kevin Smith and Norton that just went up. a great 1:50 interview and Jimmy explains how it all came about with o and a. I think the best of all the podcasts he's did for promotion.
I like clever bits like talking about fisherman and how dumb fish are (or more general hunters) way more than the expected "look at me I'm raunchy" bits like sex/dick/tranny/gay jokes. He does take things he came up with on the show and uses them in other places (like the fish thing on Leno), but I still think it is better on the show when it just comes up and doesn't have a build up.
There was a reddit thread dedicated to norton's current stand-up recently. The general consensus that I agree with as well is that it feels rushed, forced, and unnatural. Unlike his witty show contributions
Stand-up and conversation are two different animals.
He's an AMAZINGLY witty conversationalist, especially when he's playing his role of the punchline, where he doesn't have to lead the conversation, just make it funny. (Though he's good at leading it too.)
But I've never found him that funny when he's doing stand-up.. it's just not his calling in my opinion.
I used to feel the exact same thing for Patrice O'Neal, until the last little bit of his life, when he finally truly started to find a way to infuse that conversational attitude into his stand-up. Before than he was funny on stage, but it was all over the place and disjointed.
Not everybody is Louis CK and can kill it both ways.
People that are fans of his on radio before checking out his stand up seem to think that. However, I know a lot of people who have ONLY heard him do stand up and NEVER heard the radio show and they all seem to think he's hilarious. Same thing goes for Patrice.
Most people will ROFL at the mere mention of the word "dick" or something equally naughty. Watch people on any comedy special and they will be losing control after every joke. I think a lot of people's laughs are just conditioned "I know I'm expected to laugh here" reactions. I'm probably not the best critic of standup since while I can enjoy and appreciate it, I rarely ever laugh out loud (even at legends like Carlin and Pryor). As an example of a bit that actually stuck with me is the "Peanut Brittle" bit by Paul F Thompkins.
I should just say that I don't think standup is really a great art form (or can just judge it on funny to keep it simple). I'll put it above comedic music (Weird Al) and maybe improv, but comparing the art forms at their best I think literature, sketch comedy (Mr Show), and sitcoms (Seinfeld), and movies are more funny.
Holy fuck I will never understand how how you huys go out of your way to listen to the show everyday and still have the balls to only hate and criticize everything on a daily basis. There are hundreds of shows you can listen to that are great go listen to them.
By the way the kevin smith smodcast with jim norton is great, he goes through his entire career and how he went from the bottom to where he is right now, it was really interesting if you haven't heard it. It'll give you opie haters something to consider before you bash him
No one expects you to understand. If irony had a hand it would have slapped you before you hit the publish button. The whole show is predicated on criticizing everything. From outright hate of things like musical genres to the busting balls of comic friends that is the base of the show. Is it hard to imagine what kind of fans the show attracts? The show knows this. They don't trust the pests in times of peace because they get bored and are apt to turn on them.
Most of the comments here are just criticisms of the show or ball busting and it all takes place on an obscure message board. I'm not sure Opie needs a white knight in this instance.
The meaning of irony is the last thing you would expect to happen happening. A show that bashes everything having hyper critical fans is exactly what you would expect. If irony had a hand it would slap you for misusing the word.
Though your summarization skills are lacking and you failed to reply to your own post, by jove, I think you've actually hit upon the essence of the show! O&A is a show by idiots for idiots. I do like to think of us as a cut above more common idiots like Bob and Tom listeners, however.
These guys are working as much as stern. Why so many days off?
ReplyDeleteIt's called a vacation. Look into it, if you ever get a job.
ReplyDeleteThey just got off a week vacation, not to mention lasr friday as well. How many vacations do they need
DeleteThey take a two week vacation, every year. Nothing strange here.
DeleteThank you, I just thought it was weird to take a week off, work a week, then take anothet week. But whatever it's cool
DeleteThat's why Ant explained it on Friday's show during the phoner.. they separated the 2 week vacation so Jimmy could be live to promote his special (even though they basically got a 3wk vacation with the amount of bullshit time wasting they did).
DeleteUnless you get a job at Star Bucks, then it is called a micro-vacation.
DeleteThey didn't actual work a whole week, and they take a metric fuckload of days off (while complaining that Stern has more, that noone else in radio works on Fridays, and that management calls their agent if they take a sick day). I think they get like 3-4 weeks of official vacation a year along with personal days. Their new favorite loophole, which is a relatively recent innovation, is the "as long as someone shows up" show which they use to take a lot of personal days. Will we ever see them achieve their "joke" dream of franchising the show? I don't think most people mind this as it adds variety (I'd like to see some more Ronny B in there, but he actually works hard for a living and those guys never do his show, so I understand).
yeah, if ronny broadshoulders shows up all the time, i'm a happy listener.
Deletewhere's the chatbox ?
ReplyDeleteChat box appears to be down for maintenance atm
ReplyDeleteOh, ok. :) Thanks.
DeleteShoutbox just emailed back to advise that they will be back online shortly. Please continue to stand by, and thank you for your patience.
ReplyDeleteHas any1 went the gentlemans club today for todays r&f?? I can't get the link to work properly it keep sayin virus detected on my driod. Any1 having any problems there?? Dalex any clue?? Is it just me?
ReplyDeleteTested and working. Do you have some kind of anti virus enabled?
DeleteNot that I know of..this site worked fine. Idk ill try again. It was sayin something about andriod trojan found click ok. Coudlnt back out of it. Thanks for responding
ReplyDeleteHey thanks figuired it out. I like the banner . And the 1015 am advertisement. Professional. Thanks u for ur service
ReplyDeleteBig fan of norton on the show, but after listening to his horrid old stand-up and not really a fan of the rushed delivery it's mutated into. How did he get the gig on O and A?
ReplyDeleteHe found his niche. I don't remember if he started off as a regular guest that kept showing up and was eventually offered a job or what, but I don't don't think they saw his standup comedy and said "we need this guy on our team!". I do remember he was working with Dice when they met him, and I think that goes for Kenny too. I'm not a fan of Kenny's old police work tuning up blacks, but he found his niche doing security for a predominantly white show.
DeleteThat said, is everyone a fan of his current standup comedy? I'm not a big standup comedy fan in general, but I don't think he is that great. I like him on the show when the comedy is situational and off the cuff. I'd rather not think about a tranny joke where someone actually wrote it down, crafted it, worked it out in clubs, and then repeated at all his shows.
listen the the smodcast with Kevin Smith and Norton that just went up. a great 1:50 interview and Jimmy explains how it all came about with o and a. I think the best of all the podcasts he's did for promotion.
DeleteI like clever bits like talking about fisherman and how dumb fish are (or more general hunters) way more than the expected "look at me I'm raunchy" bits like sex/dick/tranny/gay jokes. He does take things he came up with on the show and uses them in other places (like the fish thing on Leno), but I still think it is better on the show when it just comes up and doesn't have a build up.
DeleteThere was a reddit thread dedicated to norton's current stand-up recently. The general consensus that I agree with as well is that it feels rushed, forced, and unnatural. Unlike his witty show contributions
ReplyDeleteI think Norton is a good to great stand up but absolutely huge to the show I do however agree his last special American Degenerate felt rushed.
ReplyDeleteStand-up and conversation are two different animals.
ReplyDeleteHe's an AMAZINGLY witty conversationalist, especially when he's playing his role of the punchline, where he doesn't have to lead the conversation, just make it funny. (Though he's good at leading it too.)
But I've never found him that funny when he's doing stand-up.. it's just not his calling in my opinion.
I used to feel the exact same thing for Patrice O'Neal, until the last little bit of his life, when he finally truly started to find a way to infuse that conversational attitude into his stand-up. Before than he was funny on stage, but it was all over the place and disjointed.
Not everybody is Louis CK and can kill it both ways.
People that are fans of his on radio before checking out his stand up seem to think that. However, I know a lot of people who have ONLY heard him do stand up and NEVER heard the radio show and they all seem to think he's hilarious. Same thing goes for Patrice.
ReplyDeleteMost people will ROFL at the mere mention of the word "dick" or something equally naughty. Watch people on any comedy special and they will be losing control after every joke. I think a lot of people's laughs are just conditioned "I know I'm expected to laugh here" reactions. I'm probably not the best critic of standup since while I can enjoy and appreciate it, I rarely ever laugh out loud (even at legends like Carlin and Pryor). As an example of a bit that actually stuck with me is the "Peanut Brittle" bit by Paul F Thompkins.
DeleteI should just say that I don't think standup is really a great art form (or can just judge it on funny to keep it simple). I'll put it above comedic music (Weird Al) and maybe improv, but comparing the art forms at their best I think literature, sketch comedy (Mr Show), and sitcoms (Seinfeld), and movies are more funny.
DeleteHoly fuck I will never understand how how you huys go out of your way to listen to the show everyday and still have the balls to only hate and criticize everything on a daily basis. There are hundreds of shows you can listen to that are great go listen to them.
ReplyDeleteBy the way the kevin smith smodcast with jim norton is great, he goes through his entire career and how he went from the bottom to where he is right now, it was really interesting if you haven't heard it. It'll give you opie haters something to consider before you bash him
No one expects you to understand. If irony had a hand it would have slapped you before you hit the publish button. The whole show is predicated on criticizing everything. From outright hate of things like musical genres to the busting balls of comic friends that is the base of the show. Is it hard to imagine what kind of fans the show attracts? The show knows this. They don't trust the pests in times of peace because they get bored and are apt to turn on them.
DeleteMost of the comments here are just criticisms of the show or ball busting and it all takes place on an obscure message board. I'm not sure Opie needs a white knight in this instance.
Great reply.
DeleteThe meaning of irony is the last thing you would expect to happen happening. A show that bashes everything having hyper critical fans is exactly what you would expect. If irony had a hand it would slap you for misusing the word.
DeleteSo what you're basically saying is that the show attracts some idiots and that you're one of them
ReplyDeleteThough your summarization skills are lacking and you failed to reply to your own post, by jove, I think you've actually hit upon the essence of the show! O&A is a show by idiots for idiots. I do like to think of us as a cut above more common idiots like Bob and Tom listeners, however.
Delete